By September 24, 2021Landlords

Before becoming a landlord, there are a few things you need to do to make your property ready to lease. Making sure your property is up to standard, and all compliance is met. Ensuring you are starting on the right foot sets you up for a positive experience.

Presentation and cleaning

  • Ensuring the premises and inclusions at the property are clean and comply with the local and state authority building regulations is safe to live. We recommend the property be cleaned to a bond clean standard to set the standard for a new tenancy at a high level.
  • Pest control is current – annual service requirement – this is also an excellent opportunity to engage in a building and pest report, although not a requirement but highly recommended.
  • Flea treatment if there have been pets kept at the property and receipt provided – this is also required from tenants when pets have resided at the property
  • Carpets professionally cleaned
  • Lawns and gardens to be maintained and weed-free

Compliance Services

  • Ensuring there is a functioning safety switch installed for the power circuit
  • All corded internal window coverings comply with trade practices.
  • All properties must have smoke alarms installed and be compliant as per legislation.
  • The owner must ensure that the smoke alarms, safety switch, and window furnishings are compliant at each tenancy and lease renewal. We recommend the owner engage a contractor on behalf of the owner to complete a safety check which is an annual subscription fee.
  • If there is a pool at the property, a Pool Safety Certificate is required, and the pool must be clean and chemically balanced.
  • If the property has gas, a Gas Compliance Certificate is required.

Smoke Alarms

With the legislation changing as of 1st January 2022, we encourage Landlords to upgrade their alarms to meet the new legislation.

When it is time for your property’s alarms to be upgraded, those alarms must:

  • Be photoelectric (AS 3786-2014; and
  • Not also contain the ionisation sensor; and
  • Be less than ten years old; and
  • Operate when tested; and
  • Be interconnected with every other smoke alarm in the dwelling, so all activate together; and
  • Be either hardwired or powered by a non-removable 10-year battery.

Water Charges

As a Landlord, you can charge a tenant excess water charges or Full water charges. For a tenant to pay full water charges, the property must be water efficient. We can engage a plumber to attend and complete a water compliance report. They will then supply the water-efficient certificates and can ensure the property is meeting the water-efficient checks. Suppose the property is not water efficient and the owner only wants to charge the excess water usage. In that case, a KL usage amount is agreed upon before a tenancy commences.


  • If you have solar at your property, there are two options on what the landlord can do.
    1. The electricity account stays in the Landlords name, and the invoice is sent to the property manager to invoice the tenants for the electricity usage.
    2. The electricity account is changed into the tenant’s name, and the tenant is responsible for all electricity invoices in their name.


  • We will require a key for each door, screen and window, if applicable, and to be in good working order. We ask for three sets which allow two tenant sets and one office set for access.

Landlord Insurance

  • Ensuring you have comprehensive Landlord insurance is essential and always check what is covered, including loss of rent, etc.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to speak with your property manager.

Leave a Reply